Today I’m 50.
There’s so much pressure around turning 50. Do you look 50? Do you feel 50? Have you accomplished everything you wanted to accomplish at 50?
Do the answers to these questions even matter? I’m going to say the answer is NO. None of those things matter. And, life doesn’t end at 50! It just keeps going and getting better!
So here’s what I think does matter:
– Live an intentional life. You can still binge Netflix. But take time to think clearly about what you want from life and to make it happen, so you don’t wake up one day and wonder how you ended up with less of a life than you vaguely imagined.
– Meditate and do yoga every day.
– Spend more time outside and less time online. Gardening is good for you. Put your hands in some dirt and listen to the wind in the leaves.
– Be who you are, not who society tells you to be. You’ll have a lot more fun.
– Don’t wait to process trauma. Find an amazing therapist and get to work so you can live your life more fully, without the limitations that trauma creates for you.
– It’s okay not to be perfect. In fact, imperfection is pretty glorious in its own way.
– Let yourself be loved. Fully, completely, and beautifully.
– Give to others who need more than you do. Whatever you have, time or money, tangible goods or kindness. Give freely and with abandon.
– Find joy everywhere. Go outside and play in the rain. Jump in some puddles. Let a puppy lick your face.
Photo by @nilajeanportrait
Glam by @jmariemakeup
Today I’m 50.